By: MJ Gonzales |Gogagah
Although there are more concert venues all over Metro Manila, the mark of Cultural Center of the Philippines or CCP is still undisputed. It’s the home of world-class performing artists in the Philippines and various artistic shows you can’t see in other venues.
The ambiance in CCP, which located along Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City, is quite different precisely because it’s old and built for artistic expressions. In fact, few of the missions of this 60-hectare place is to become venue of ‘art transformation,’ ‘sustainability and viability’ cultural programs and to showcase art excellence of Filipinos and foreign acts.
CCP has different theaters such as Tanghalang Francisco Balagtas or Folk Arts Theater, Tanghalang Manuel Conde or Dream Theater, Tanghalang Huseng Batute or Studio Theater, Tanghalang Aurelio Tolentino or Little Theater, and Tanghalang Nicanor Abelardo o Main Theater. There are also exhibition halls here namely CCP Museum, Vicente Manansala hall (2nd floor hallway), Guillermo Tolentino hall (3rd floor hallway), Victorio Edades hall (4th floor museum hallway), and Bulwagang Carlos V. Francisco or Little Theater Lobby. In these areas, visitors will see top caliber and interesting visual arts of Filipino painters.
Aside from plays like Zsa Zsa Zaturnah starring Eula Valdes at Joey Paras in 2006, CCP is also the home of Cinemalaya Philippine Independent Film Festival. If you’re not yet aware, Cinemalaya opens doors for some new filmmakers to show their creations and paves way for independent to be recognized. The internationally-acclaimed independent films Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros ( The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros) starring Nathan Lopez, directed by Auraeus Solito, and written by Michiko Yamamoto; and Ang Babae sa Septic Tank (The Woman in the Septic Tank) starring Eugene Domingo, directed by Marlon Rivera, and written by Chris Martinez.
Here are 5 things why it’s good to watch in CCP:
- You can’t watch superb play and shows just anywhere else. You can expect brilliant performances from prestigious production companies and groups that regularly produce shows there like Tanghalang Pilipino (production company ng Zsa Zsa Zaturnah), Ballet Philippines, Bayanihan Philippine National Folk Dance Company, Philippine Madrigal Singer, and Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra.
- It’s comforting to know that you’re fellow audience are same like you who like entertainment and artistic value.
- You will feel that it’s delightful to watch the talents of Filipinos as they give inspiration and courage as disciples of Arts. .
- You know you spend money wisely and at the same time, you give support to Philippine culture and arts.
- You’ll discover more excellent performing artists and type of arts.